Even if you have not seen the movie Spinal Tap (These amps go to 11!) you can still take your regular hot chocolate and turn it into a more nutritious and delicious beverage/afternoon snack. This recipe combines ingredients from some of my favorite hot drinks like bulletproof coffee and golden milk. The end result is a frothy, chocolatey, protein-packed, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant drink. That's a lot for one beverage to deliver!
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, especially when cooked in fat like coconut oil which is beneficial for everything from skin health to heart health. Cocoa and dark chocolate are a good source of antioxidants. Follow this simple recipe, add what you like, leave out anything that doesn't call to you and stay cozy this winter!
- 1 ½ cups milk – sometimes I use heavy cream and water, sometimes I use canned coconut milk with water added
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened powdered cocoa
- 1 tablespoon chopped dark baking chocolate — I usually use slightly sweetened 70% dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 scoop or about 2 tablespoons whey protein powder — I use Tera's Whey, it's certified organic from grassfed happy cows and has 11 grams of protein in each scoop
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stevia, maple syrup, honey or a combination, to taste.
Mix everything together in a sauce pan EXCEPT the vanilla and stevia/sweeteners. Heat it up, stir to combine.
When it's steaming hot, but not boiling, take it off the heat and mix in your sweetener of choice until dissolved. Then add in the vanilla extract.
Use an immersion blender to whip everything together; it will get frothy!
Pour into 2 mugs and enjoy!