“If you're afraid of butter, use cream.” ― Julia Child
This recipe by Jim Huebner is perfect for the snow day we are having!
- 5 -7 cups leeks, tops trimmed down to pale green, roots removed, sliced into thin half moons
- 6 carrots, peeled if necessary, and chopped
- ¼ cup of pasture butter (you can, as Julia suggests, also add cream to the finished soup)
- 2-4 cups organic chicken stock or mushroom broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- a dose of Fire Cider
Leeks from our garden!
First, sweat the leeks in the butter with a generous sprinkling of salt in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Cook the sliced leeks over medium-low heat until they are soft, wilted and starting to brown a bit.
Add the broth. Start with 2 cups; if it looks too thick, add more. Then add the chopped carrots and cook the soup until the carrots are soft. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender. Add salt, pepper and Fire Cider to taste.
Add a dollop of cream to each bowl as you serve, for a filling and decadent meal.