Ingredient of the Month: Lemons
10 fun facts about our favorite sour fruit!
- Lemons are, technically, berries!
- You can squeeze about 3 tbsp of juice from the average lemon.
- The lemon is the fruit of a small evergreen tree.
- Most of the lemons grown in the U.S. come from Arizona and California.
- The first written record of the lemon is from an Arabic treatise on farming from the 10th century.
- Lemon peel is used to make pectin.
- A mature lemon tree can produce up to 600 lbs of fruit each year.
- They are a great source of vitamin C, soluble fiber, minerals, and essential oils.
- Historically they have been a sign of prestige and wealth. Kings used to give them to each other as gifts and wealthy families grew lemon trees indoors during England's Victorian era.
- Some lemon trees can fruit and flower at the same time!