With our recent restock of African Bronze Honey, Amy decided to whip up her favorite, gluten free, low-glycemic Cheesecake recipe. This is a fantastic dessert to take to that potluck graduation party or summer picnic! Personally, I'm in love with the pecan crust.
Best Cheesecake Ever
For the crust-
1/2 cup butter
2 cups pecans
1/2 tablespoon of African Bronze Honey
For the filling-
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup African Bronze Honey plus stevia to desired sweetness for low sugar option or use up to 2/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon or more lemon zest
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (3 8oz packages)
For the topping-
1 pint sour cream
2 tablespoon African Bronze Honey
- First, let your cream cheese sit out until it's soft and at room temperature.
- Prep a 10 inch spring-form pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper and buttering the sides and seam around the bottom edge. The spring-form pan is important, I have baked this cake in a glass pie dish and it came out all right but the texture was not the same fluffy yet creamy deliciousness that you get from baking in a metal spring-form pan.
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Make the crust by pulsing the pecans in a food processor until most are in small bits, then add the butter, in small chunks, and the honey. Pulse a few more times until it forms a crumbly, sticky, mixture. Press evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest, honey (and stevia if using) into a soft, creamy mixture.
- Whip the egg whites in a clean metal bowl with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. - Gently fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. This step will take 5-7 minutes and it will initially look like you are giving the cream cheese mixture a bubble bath in the foamy egg whites. Do not worry, with a few minutes of gentle, continuous folding the mixture will start to come together.
- Pour the filling on top of your crust and bake for 30 minutes until set.
- Remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 450.
- Mix the sour cream with the tablespoon of honey and pour evenly over the top of your baked cheese cake. Pop it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature - don't worry about refrigerating the left overs, there won't be any!